OSRAM is one of the two leading light manufacturers in the world. The company’s portfolio covers the entire value chain from components – including lamps, electronic control gear and opto semiconductors such as light-emitting diodes (LED) – as well as luminaires, light management systems and lighting solutions. The company, which is internationally oriented, had more than 34,000 employees worldwide at the end of the fiscal year 2014 and generated a revenue of almost 5.1 billion Euros in that year. The company’s business activities have been focusing on light – and hence on quality of life – for over 100 years. We recently interviewed Mr. Maninder Johar (Head-Human Resources), Osram to know his views on employee engagement and discussed the best HR practices. All the views expressed here are personal views of Mr. Johar.
Any special initiative that you implemented for making your people happy?
An “engaged employee” is one who is fully absorbed by and enthusiastic about their work and so takes positive action to further the organization’s reputation and interests.
- One request that we received from our employees was that they have to travel to Gurgaon office from Delhi everyday. If they have to spend 4 hours in traffic everyday then they have very little time left for family. So we worked out some flexi-hour timing and even work from home solutions for our people. Our people have welcomed these initiatives.
- Doing a Global employee engagement survey through our partner Tower Watson. This helps us in understanding what our people really want from us.
- We reward people with global job opportunities once they have completed certain number of years with us and perform good.
What are the major functions of HR in your organization?
We have a team of 10 members which focuses on the core areas like-Talent Acquisition, Compensation Benefits, Compliance and Learning and development.
What are the traits you look for in the people you hire? How do you plan their leaning and development?
Flexibility and mobility are the two most important qualities we look for in any candidate. Our organization being a multinational organization has a lot of roles to offer to people. We only need the candidates who are talented and open for the challenge. Learning and development of our people is taken very seriously. Post the performance review of our people, learning and training needs are identified. We then organize training programs for them in India and abroad to ensure that they get holistic learning. For international training, we select only those candidates who have shown some significant results through their work.
How do you ensure that the sales team does not burnout?
We celebrate every victory at workplace and that keeps our people motivated something like celebrating every big order we get. Once the quarterly targets are set, the team begins to work for them. At the end of every quarter the targets are reviewed, and all this is followed by a party. All the members from management are present to motivate and celebrate with the people.
What is the most important reason for someone to leave the job?
Relationship with the manager is the single biggest reason why people leave their jobs. They may make it explicit or they may hide it but more often than not, this is the reason.
Tell us about the need to involving the family in the R&R program?
We always try to make family of our people a part of the celebrations. If any reward and recognition is given to an individual, we ensure that the family is present or aware about the achievement of the individual. This is a great way to form loyalty ties with your people. Be sincere and make them feel proud in the presence of family.
Once the family also associates with the company, then the employees feel more attached to their workplaces and develop deeper bonds. Family always influences an individuals decision to stay with an organization.
3 advice for people who want to experience professional happiness
- Know where you want to go in life and then develop an action plan according to your targets. This will ensure happiness in the long run. Always give your best to whatever you are doing.
- Whenever you start your day, start on a positive note. Every morning is a choice to be happy or upset- make sure that you choose happiness. Dress well and show up for work
- People feel happy when they contribute. Make sure you help someone during the day. Likewise, never fail to recognize and appreciate good things about others. When you compliment others, you feel good.